What is Global Ministries?
To receive and share the Good News of Jesus Christ by joining with global and local partners to work for justice, reconciliation and peace.
We strive for this by living out our core values:
- Presence - Manifesting God's love by living in intentional, committed relationships
- Mutuality - Walking in hope with others in God's mission
- Community - Building interdependence and unity among all of God's children
- Justice - Living out God's radical love by confronting powers that deny the fullness of life and the integrity of creation
- Peace - Embodying reconciling relationships with God, humanity and creation
|Global Ministries Co-Executives and Staff listing|
Rev. Julia Brown Karimu, Co-Executive Global Ministries, President, Division of Overseas Ministries
Rev. Dr. James Moos, Co-Executive Global Ministries, Executive Minister, Wider Church Ministries
|Learn More About Global Ministries|
|Frequently Asked Questions about Global Ministries|
- How is Global Ministries governed?
By the Common Global Ministries Board (CGMB) composed of six international partners, 20 Division of Overseas Ministries (Disciples) board members and 20 Wider Church Ministries (UCC) board members.
- Who are Global Ministries international partners?
Autonomous churches historically related to Disciples and UCC, as well as a variety of other denominations, ecumenical organizations, councils of churches, indigenous churches, educational and healthcare institutions, and sustainable development organizations.
- How is the work with international partners carried out?
Through five area offices staffed by area executives (Africa, East Asia and Pacific, Latin America and Caribbean, Middle East and Europe and Southern Asia) who work with the program offices (Mission Personnel including People-to-People Pilgrimages and Missionary Relationships, Resource/Financial Development, Mission Education and Advocacy, Finance, Child Sponsorship)
- How many partners does Global Ministries have?
Over 270 partner churches and organizations in about 70 countries around the world.
- Why is Global Ministries unique?
No two denominations in U.S. Christianity have entered into covenantal partnership to engage in global mission together through a common structure.
- What is Global Ministries' mission?
To recieve and share the Good News of Jesus Christ by joining with global and local partners to work for justice, reconciliation and peace.
- How does Global Ministries send missionaries?
When international partners send a specific request for a missionary that meets the Critical Presence criteria and finances are available for the appointment, then a person who can fill the role is sought.
- Under the Critical Presence criteria, what is the primary focus for missionary appointments?
Global Ministries seeks to appoint mission personnel to places where capacity-building (leadership and community social infrastructure development leading to self-sufficiency) and healthcare are a primary focus.
- How many missionaries did Global Ministries send in 2010?
A total of 126 missionaries served in 43 countries, which included 56 fully supported missionaries, 8 global mission interns (young adults ages 18-30), 13 long-term volunteers (one year or more) and 49 overseas associates (Disciple and UCC persons in mission appointed and paid by international partners).
- Are there other options for short-term service through Global Ministries?
In 2010, 14 individuals served as short-term volunteers (two weeks to 11 months) and 94 group mission trips were recorded through the People-to-People pilgrimage office.
- How does Global Ministries help local congregations engage in global mission?
Global Ministries offers the Be a Global Mission Church booklet with a 5-step process for congregations to develop a plan of action and be recognized as a Global Mission congregation.
- Where does Global Ministries have home-based staff?
Half of the staff is in Cleveland at the UCC Church House and the other half is in Indianapolis at the Disciples Center. The staff is led by two Co-Executives, one in Indianapolis and one in Cleveland.
- How is Global Ministries funded?
Through a percentage of Disciples Mission Fund (DMF) and the Easter offering from Disciples and Our Churches Wider Mission (OCWM) from the UCC plus money through Week of Compassion (WOC) and One Great Hour of Sharing (OGHS). Funds are also received from various endowment funds and from special gifts provided by individuals, congregations and judicatories of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) and the United Church of Christ.
- Can I give to Global Ministries?
Gifts are welcome and can be sent to Global Ministries in either Cleveland or Indianapolis. You also may designate your gifts for any of the more than 250 special giving projects that you find on the Global Ministries website globalministries.org
- How can I help tell the story of Global Ministries?
Consider attending a Ministries and Mission Interpreters (MMI) training to learn more about Global Ministries and become a part of the network of the 1100 plus Disciples and UCC MMIs who are advocating for the work of Global Ministries around the globe.